Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Maryland Mock Newbery Results!

Yesterday was the big day -- our fifth annual Maryland Mock Newbery! After a round of wonderful discussion, we all voted, and our winner was:


P.S. Be Eleven, by Rita Williams-Garcia

Although none of our Mock Newbery selections seemed to be poorly received, P.S. Be Eleven won by a big enough margin that we didn't name any Honor books.

Thanks to everyone who helped out and attended for making this event such a rousing success!


Special thanks are due to Rachael, who started our Mock Newbery, and has coordinated and planned it for each of the last five years. She's stepping back now, both from the Mock Newbery and from this blog, so that she can focus on her two-year appointment to the Notable Children's Recordings Committee. I'll be coordinating the 2015 Maryland Mock Newbery, and I hope I can meet the very high standard that she's set.

I plan on forging ahead with For Those About To Mock for the 2015 Newbery cycle. I'm very much in the market for guest bloggers, even if you just want to contribute a review or two. Leave us a comment, or send me an email (sam AT esrl DOT org) if you're interested in appearing in this space!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely choice. I feel like PS Be Eleven isn't getting as much notice as it deserves. I will be excited if it gets the award on the 27th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'd love to be a guest contributor next year! I'm a fellow Morris Seminar participant, so I look forward to meeting you in person later this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, excellent! Definitely, let's make sure to connect at the Seminar. I'd love to have you as a guest blogger!

      Delete
  3. If you need another reviewer, I would love to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Send me an email at sam@esrl.org, and we can take it from there!

      Delete
    2. I just saw this comment today. I'll get to emailing you ASAP!

      Delete