Monday, September 30, 2013

Semi-Final Reading List: Sam Edition

Once again, it's that time of year -- the time when, in the interest of both thoroughness and preparing for the Maryland Mock Newbery, Rachael and I turn a closer eye to some of what seem to be this year's top contenders. There are a few more that we really want to read when we have a chance (Far Far Away, by Tom McNeal, and From Norvelt to Nowhere, by Jack Gantos, are high on that list), but for the most part, we're on to the Taking A Closer Look section.

Rachael has already explained the rules, so here's the list of four that she assigned me:
Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures, by Kate DiCamillo
The Year of Billy Miller, by Kevin Henkes
P.S. Be Eleven, by Rita Williams-Garcia
The Center of Everything, by Linda Urban

 To these I added:

Doll Bones, by Holly Black
The Thing About Luck, by Cynthia Kadohata


Probably something about torpedoes! Start reading when ready, Gridley!

4 comments:

  1. I finished The Thing About Luck today. I loved it, combines and all. I'm glad you decided to put it on your list, although I remember Rachael didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from someone who liked it! We tried this year to include books that are getting buzz, but that got a bad review from the other person -- I disliked both Navigating Early and True Blue Scouts intensely, but Rachael is going to read them anyway :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's really wonderful. I'm always surprised that more people aren't enthusiastic about his novels.

      Delete